Our hearts are truly miraculous. My personal experiences with heart surgery have brought me deeper understanding, gratitude, and reverence for my own heart. Here are just a few of the amazing things about our wise, powerful hearts.
- The average adult heart beats 72 times a minute; 100,000 times a day; 3,600,000 times a year; and 2.5 billion times during a lifetime.
- Because the heart has its own electrical impulse, it can continue to beat even when separated from the body, as long as it has adequate oxygen.
- The heart’s electrical field is about 60 times greater in amplitude than that of the brain.
- The magnetic field produced by the heart is more than 5000 times stronger than the field generated by the brain.
- Our cardiac field can reach far beyond the place where we are standing.
HOW TO CARE FOR YOUR BEAUTIFUL HEART
Food– Eat a high-fiber diet, with plenty of vegetables, whole grains, legumes, and minimally-processed animal products. Limit sugar and processed foods, and don’t smoke. Probiotic foods will help prevent damaging inflammation.
Drink Tea – Tulsi (Holy Basil) Tea helps reduce cortisol, which left unchecked can wreak havoc on your heart. Organic India makes a good product in a variety of flavors. Mountain Rose Herbs (www.mountainroseherbs.com) offers a delicious Tulsi in bulk.
Another wonderful tea is Spring Dragon Longevity Tea, from Dragon Herbs (www.dragonherbs.com). This tea is made from the herb gynostemma, which benefits healthy cholesterol, blood pressure, blood sugar, and blood flow.
Exercise – Regular cardiac exercise helps to oxygenate the blood, keeping the heart healthy. Aim for 30 minutes of cardiac exercise 3-5 times per week.
Laughter – Add laughter to your everyday. Studies have shown that laughter helps to dilate your blood vessels, reducing stress on your heart.
Gratitude – Cultivate feelings of gratitude for your life. Studies show that positive feelings such as love and gratitude positively effect heart-rate variability.
Stress Relief – Stress can damage the heart by increasing heart rate, blood pressure, and cholesterol. Reduce stress daily with activities such as yoga, walking, music, prayer, and meditation.
Try EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques) — EFT is one of THE most powerful techniques for reducing cortisol, anxiety, and stress — FAST!